Crunchy Cashew Thai Quinoa Salad (vegan & gluten-free)
Delicious vegan and easily gluten-free Thai quinoa salad with a great crunch. Fantastic for meal prep lunches, parties or picnics.
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage, depending on how much crunch you like
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 1/2 cup cashew halves or peanuts (honey-roasted is good)
- 1 cup edamame or chickpeas (optional)
- Fresh lime, for a bit of tang
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup all natural peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon honey (use agave or pure maple syrup if vegan)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoons olive oil or more sesame oil
- Water to thin, if necessary
To cook quinoa: In a medium saucepan, bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil. Add in quinoa and bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all of the water. Remove from heat and fluff quinoa with fork; place in large bowl and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes. You should have a little over 2 cups of quinoa.
To make dressing: Add peanut butter and honey or agave to a medium microwave safe bowl; heat in microwave for 20 seconds. Add in ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, and both sesame and olive oil and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy. If you want a thinner dressing, simply stir in a teaspoon or two of water or olive oil.
Next fold in red pepper, onion, cabbage, carrots, and cilantro into the quinoa. Garnish with cashews and green onions. Serve chilled or at room temperature with lime wedges, if desired.