Easy and healthy Sesame Tofu with Broccoli Recipe, air fry or bake it before coating in an oil-free sticky garlic ginger sesame sauce. Crispy golden around the edges with walnut syrup instead of honey, gluten-free and vegan!
The way to Create Sesame Tofu:
- Start with the firm or extra firm tofu, eliminate from the package and drain water.
- Press Tofu: put the drained tofu block on a lint-free kitchen towel, fold the sides over and cover with a different cloth. Place a heavy object on tops such as an enamelled cast iron kettle or something simple to balance. Allow to press for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Once pressed, tear the tofu into bite-size bits and toss with tapioca or corn starch.
- Air fry or bake till golden crisp around the edges following the directions in the recipe card.
The Sesame Sauce:
Whisk together tamari with water, vinegar, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds. Balance with a drizzle of maple syrup for both flavor and stickiness. Thicken as it simmers for a fast minute with tapioca or cornstarch. How simple is that?!
What to Serve With:
- steamed broccoli or green beans
- sauteed spinach or bok choy
- stir-fried veggies
- at a salad with brown rice
- Cherry avocado noodles
What is Tofu Made Of?
Tofu is made from soybeans in a process similar to making cheese. The soy milk curd can be pressed and used into cubes of different textures, from soft to extra firm. The flavour is very gentle to non-existent, making it the perfect vehicle to consume any flavour just like a sponge. In our situation that luscious sesame sauce!
How Much Protein is in Tofu?
Tofu provides a whopping 20 grams of protein in one cup and zero cholesterol. Now that’s a high quality, healthful protein.
Is Sesame Tofu Healthy?
I created this recipe as healthy as possible! The tofu is cooked in my toaster air fryer without any oil, and I also made the skillet oil-free and sugar. The oven-baked alternate is not quite as healthy as it takes a little oil to keep the tofu from drying.
I hope you enjoy and thanks a lot for reading. Want to browse all of my recipe posts? Follow my Pinterest.
Please, if you recreate this Sesame Tofu with Broccoli Recipe, don’t forget to give me star rate or comment below. Thanks!
Try these other Delicious Recipes options:
- Vegan Sweet And Sour Cauliflower
- Healthy Vegan Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Super Easy Vegan Burrito Recipe
- Keto Low Carb Beef and Broccoli
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Crema
- Apple Pecan Fall Salad
Sesame Tofu with Broccoli Recipe
- 15 oz block firm tofu ~organic
- 2 tbsp tapioca
- 1 lime ~for serving
- 3 tbsp tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lime juice
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar
- 2 cloves grated garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp fresh ginger root ~grated
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp tapioca or corn starch
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
Press the Tofu:
- Remove tofu from the package and drain the water. Slice in half lengthwise so you end up with 2 thinner slices. Place on a lint free towel lined plate and fold the sides over. Cover with another lint free towel and place a heavy item on top, something with good balance. Allow the tofu to press for at least 35 minutes or overnight. (If pressing overnight make sure to transfer to the refrigerator and keep cool)
- Use your hands and roughly tear the tofu into bite size pieces. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with a tiny pinch of sea salt and two tablespoons of tapioca. Gently toss to coat well.
Air Fryer Method:
- Place the tofu on a parchment lined air fryer tray and air fry at 375″ for 15 to 17 minutes until golden around the edges. (I do this in my Cuisinart Toaster Air Fryer, if you are using something different you might need to adjust the timing as it could take a little longer)
Oven Baked Method:
- Spray the pressed tofu pieces with a light coat of sesame oil. Dust with 2 tablespoons of tapioca and toss to coat well. Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet preferably without touching each other. Bake at 400″F for 25 to 30 minutes until golden around the edges.
Make the Sesame Sauce:
- In a small bowl whisk together all the sauce ingredients until combined. Transfer to a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Cook a minute or so until the sauce has thickened.
- Transfer the cooked tofu into the sesame sauce and toss to coat well all over. Serve over steamed broccoli with brown rice or noodles.
Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 762mg | Potassium: 101mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 204mg | Iron: 3mg