Broccoli Gratin – This is one excellent way to serve broccoli. Whether the broccoli gratin is for dinner or a special event, you will love this side dish!
Last year a lot of it went into the freezer for winter. The need to do something different with the broccoli we all froze became a necessity for at least me tonight. Paul is very happy eating steamed broccoli with spoonfuls of mayonnaise for a vegetable. I need a little selection, as in doing something different other than steaming it. Broccoli Gratin was exactly what I wanted.
Every bite of the broccoli gratin was pure pleasure. The white sauce, cheddar cheese, and crumb topping gave me everything I love: flavour and flavour. The white sauce and cheddar cheese together include creaminess and flavour while the crumb topping added a small crunch. The broccoli is cooked for five minutes until the dish is constructed.
After steaming the broccoli, I cut the stalks right underneath the florets. I then separated the florets to make them small. I didn’t need big chunks of broccoli in the dish. The bite-size pieces worked superbly. There are several things you can do ahead of time to create putting this dish together using a cinch. Grating the cheese, browning the bread crumbs and steaming the broccoli could be done beforehand.
To Brown The Bread Crumbs :
Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in a skillet. Add the bread crumbs to the skillet. Stir the crumbs over medium-high heat until golden brown. Remove them from the skillet and set aside.
To Make the Sauce:
Add three tablespoons of butter to a heavy metal saucepan. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook the mixture over medium-high heat for one minute. Add the milk and salt into the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring. Reduce the heat, simmer and stir until it thickens, about 10 minutes. Season with pepper and remove the pan from the heat.
Place the broccoli florets in a buttered 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle half the grated cheese on the broccoli. Pour the sauce over the broccoli and cheese. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the broccoli gratin.
Spread the bread crumbs over everything from the dish. Place your oven rack in the center of the oven and bake the Broccoli Gratin at a preheated 450-degree oven for 20 minutes until lightly browned and bubbly.
To add a little selection, do a combination of broccoli and cauliflower or substitute cauliflower to your broccoli altogether. This is one terrific way to serve broccoli, and if it be for dinner or a special occasion, you’ll adore this dish! Broccoli Gratin, it is what’s for supper, Love!
Looking for some other best recipes? Check out my The Best Avocado Egg Salad Donuts
I hope you enjoy and thanks a lot for reading. Want to browse all of my recipe posts? Follow my Pinterest.
Please, if you recreate this Easy Vegan Broccoli Gratin, don’t forget to give me star rate or comment below. Thanks!
Try these other Delicious Recipes options:
- Easy Chickpea Tikka Masala (Healthy Vegan)
- Easy Healthy Egg Salad Recipes Low Calories
- Baked Spinach Mushroom Quesadillas
- Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (Gluten-Free)
- Spicy Peanut Butter Noodles (15 Minute)
- Healthy Vegetable Potato Fritters Recipe
Easy Vegan Broccoli Gratin
- 3 tbsp plus 1 tbsp butter divided
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste.
- 8 cups broccoli florets about 4 heads
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs panko bread crumbs can also be used
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Butter an 8×8 baking dish.
- Steam the florets before crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside. Add the bread crumbs, stir the crumbs over medium-high heat until golden brown. Remove from the skillet. Set aside.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a skillet. Add the bread crumbs, stir the crumbs over medium-high heat until golden brown. Remove from the skillet. Set aside.
- In thick metal, saucepan melts three tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the flour, whisk until smooth, cook for one minute. Add the milk and salt into the pan, bring the mixture to a boil while continuing to whisk. Reduce the heat, simmer and stir till it thickens, about 10 minutes. Season with pepper. Remove from heat.
- Set the florets in the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle half the grated cheese over the broccoli, Pour the sauce over the broccoli and cheese. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese on top. Spread the bread crumbs evenly entire.
- Place your oven rack in the center of the oven. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes until lightly browned and bubbly.
[…] Easy Vegan Broccoli Gratin […]