Chickpea Tikka Masala – Dinner is on with this yummy & saucy Indian motivated vegan tikka masala recipe! It’s lusciously creamy and easy to make right at home in 1 pan using simple ingredients!
I really don’t have nearly enough of these yet, but here’s one more and I know you are likely to appreciate it!
What you’ll enjoy about this recipe:
- It is all about the sauce and spices here, and you’re going to love how amazingly saucy and flavorful it is!
- This chickpea tikka masala comes together in under one hour, which the majority of the time it’s just simmering away on the stove as you relax.
- It’s perfect comfort food served with rice, cilantro-lime rice, quinoa or with a side of vegan naan bread.
- You can easily customize it by adding cauliflower florets, diced sweet potatoes and carrots to get a much heartier, veggie-packed meal.
Ingredients You Will Want
In this recipe, we’ll make a delicious tomato sauce with chickpeas for a warm and reassuring Indian Chickpea Curry.
Here’s what You’ll Need, including ideas on replacing components:
- Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans). Utilize two cans or 3 cups fresh cooked.
- Tomato. Use canned diced tomatoes for ease, or 4 — 5 ripe tomatoes, diced. I you do not take care of chunks of tomato, use 28 ounce. The recipe calls for 2 onions, but I found one large onion a bit more favourable. Use two if you prefer.
- Onion. The original recipe calls for two onions, but I found one large onion a little more favourable. Use two if you prefer.
- Garlic. Don’t hesitate to adjust the garlic to your taste. Fresh minced or grated ginger adds a nice zing.
- Ginger. Fresh minced or grated ginger adds a nice zing.
- Cumin Seeds. It’s possible to grab a package of whole cumin seeds for an affordable price from the Mexican section of your regional grocery store, or you’ll be able to locate them bottled in the overall spice section.
- Garam Masala. Approaches warm spices, and is a combination of Indian spices like coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper and cloves. It is a beautiful blend that provides the dish a lot flavour.
- Turmeric. This yellowish aromatic spice adds yet another layer of flavour.
- Cayenne. Correct the amount to your liking. I believe 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne is a safe level, but if you love warmth to use up to 1 teaspoon.
- Coconut Milk. Complete or low-fat.
- Tomato Paste.
- Oil. I’ve used light flavoured olive oil, but coconut oil or your favourite oil will work. To produce this oil-free, use 1/4 cup of water or vegetable broth when sauteeing.
- Salt. My favourite salt of time is this Himalayan pink salt that contains vital minerals and trace elements that others salts don’t offer.
How To Make Chickpea Tikka Masala
Prepping the onions, ginger and garlic is the toughest part, the rest is simple, requiring stirring occasionally and a gentle simmer. Here’s a simplified rundown of the Actions involved (note — the Whole printable recipe directions are in the bottom of the post):
- Saute the onions and cumin seeds in oil or water/broth, until onions are browned around the edges.
- Toss from the garlic and ginger, cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the spices and cook till aromatic and sweet.
- Pour in the tomatoes and cook until they breakdown somewhat, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chickpeas and coconut milk, simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
Strategies for The Best Tikka Masala Sauce
- Don’t rush it. For your most extreme and delicious sauce, you’ll want to allow the onions cook , bringing out the sweetness.
- Simmer, do not boil. Make certain to simmer the masala over low heat to avoid the coconut milk from curdling.
- Save leftovers. Leftover chickpea tikka masala tastes phenomenal another day since the spices have more to develop immediately.
Looking for some other baked chicken recipes? Check out my Chickpea Scramble (High-Protein Vegan Breakfast)
I hope you enjoy and thanks a lot for reading. Want to browse all of my recipe posts? Follow my Pinterest.
Please, if you recreate this Easy Chickpea Tikka Masala (Healthy Vegan), don’t forget to give me star rate or comment below. Thanks!
Try these other Delicious Recipes options:
- Easy Healthy Egg Salad Recipes Low Calories
- The Best Avocado Egg Salad Donuts
- Baked Spinach Mushroom Quesadillas
- Spicy Peanut Butter Noodles (15 Minute)
- Healthy Vegetable Potato Fritters Recipe
- Crispy Vegan Potato Tacos Recipe with Jalapeño Cilantro Sauce
Easy Chickpea Tikka Masala
- 2 tablespoons olive-oil-or-1/4-cup-water/broth
- 1 large-onion diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin-seeds
- 3 – 4 garlic-cloves minced
- 2 inch-piece-of-ginger minced-or-grated
- 1 tablespoon ground-coriander optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon heaping-garam-masala
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon mineral-salt
- 2 cans 14oz diced-tomatoes, with-juices (or 4 tomatoes chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tomato-paste
- 2 cans 14oz chickpeas-(garbanzo-beans), drained-and-rinsed
- 1 can 15oz. coconut-milk (full-or-low-fat – cream is ok too)
- 1/2 cup chopped-fresh-cilantro
- grain-of-choice rice, quinoa, couscous
- In a large kettle, heat water or oil over moderate heat, add onions and cumin seeds, then cook 5 — seven moment, until onions are browned around the edges. Add the garlic and ginger, cook 1 to 2 minutes longer. Add the garam masala, turmeric, garam masala, cayenne and cook for 1 — two minutes, or until aromatic and sweet. Add tomatoes and cook 4 minutes, until they breakdown a little. Add tomato paste, chickpeas and coconut milk, then stir to blend and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring periodically. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 1 sweet potato, diced into 1/4 – 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup sliced carrots